Seattle Runner Attacked Midrun Fought Like Hell to Defeat Her Offender
Jenny McCoy//March 15 2017
Kelly Herron used self-defense techniques she'd learned just three weeks earlier.
"Not today, motherfucker."
Kelly Herron, a 36-year-old Seattle runner attacked in a public restroom last week, repeated that battle cry while fighting -- and ultimately defeating -- her offender.
Herron was four miles into a ten-mile marathon training run in popular Golden Gardens Park on Sunday, March 5, when she paused for a bathroom break. As she was drying her hands, she realized something was off. She turned to see a man who had been hiding in one of the stalls.
In an ABC News interview she recounts: "He immediately took me down to the ground, hit both my knees and legs, and then it was a fight on the bathroom floor." As Herron explains to Runners' World, adrenaline then took over. "Time stopped, the room became bigger and my life flashed before my eyes." Herron began screaming her battle cry -- "not today motherfucker" -- over and over.
The self-defense techniques she'd learned in a class offered through her work just three weeks earlier quickly came to mind as she realized, "this doesn't have to be a fair fight." (link)
RRCA State Rep?
- Outside Online: Work Hurts Badly Enough
- Newswise via Outside Online: Can They Tell Me Wher...
- Active.com: Sociophobic Runners, Rejoice!
- Runners' World via Outside Online: Training Partne...
- Fusion via Outside Online: Her Training Partner Wa...
- Runners World On-Line via Outside Online: Not Toda...
- Outside Online: Ninety-Four Problems, But...
- Self via MapMyRun.com: Some Get It, Most Don't
- Active Network: Why Have One Way When You Can Have...
- Active.com: I Really Love the Treadmill...
- First, It's "Anyone Can Marathon." Now This?
- Outside Online: Want To Eat Like An Elite?
- Active.com:Only Eight Of 'Em, Huh?
- ▼ March (13)